The square - period houses, personalities

    
The large square, one of the largest ones within the Czech Republic, has not changed much in its dimensions since it was founded in the Middle Ages. All significant styles of architecture are represented here, from the Gothic style to the Functionalism of the First Czechoslovak Republic. The original Gothic houses destroyed in the destructive fires of the 16th century were replaced by those in the Renaissance style (houses Nos. 17 and 61 have retained their Renaissance appearance, houses Nos. 1, 2 and 3 have retained Renaissance stone pillars of the archway). After the great fire of 1766 facades of most houses were rebuilt in the Baroque style (for example houses Nos. 4, 5 and 6). The appearance of the square was also altered in the 19th and 20th centuries due to the buildings of Hotel Slavie built in Art Nouveau (the late 19th century decorative style) and that of Komercní banka (Commercial Bank) in the style of the Functionalism of the First Republic. In fact, the original period houses with archways can only be seen along the western and northern sides of the square.