Church of the Holy Cross (Calvary)

    
In 1671 the Pelhřimov burgher and town elder Jan Kryštof Blažejovský and his wife Dorotea had a small church building erected above the town. Its inspiration was the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. It had a porch, a chapel, its own Sepulchre. In 1750 it was expanded and a church with a tower was erected next to the chapel; its interior was decorated with a painted cycle of the Passion of Christ. It escaped destruction at the time of the reforms of Joseph II, being sold into private hands.
Because of inadequate care it fell into decay and became dilapidated. In 1865 the municipal council decided that the chapel should be pulled down. The tower remained sanding until 1876, when it was destroyed by lightening. The council decided to build a new church – several architects participated in the competition , but the councilors unfortunately chose an uninteresting Neo-Gothic design by the local building contractor Josef Šlechta. The church was built in the years 1883-1886. The Pelhřimov dean Vojtěch Holý organized fund raising for several years. The church's high tower faces the town, while 37 steps lead to the eastern façade. The longitudinal nave with a polygonal presbytery has groin vaults, below the tower is a small choir. At present the church is in sad state and is not open to the public.