Church of St Vitus

    
The church is Pelhřimov's oldest sacral building. The earliest written records are from the year 1325, which means that it was most probably built at the beginning of the 13th century; at first it was a parish church, then a subsidiary parish church and finally, from about 1467, a graveyard church. The church with a nave and two aisles, a saddleback roof and a polygonal presbytery has no towers, mostly seen with such buildings. The disastrous fires, which ravaged the town and the St Vitus borough, left their marks on the church – we find Gothic, Renaissance and above all Baroque elements. The outline of its ground-plan has been disfigured by the additions of the no longer existing chapel of the Virgin Mary from 1376 and of the sacristy, which was attached to the presbytery in the 18th century. The Gothic lancet windows were transformed into semicircular ones, only the window masked by the sacristy, which had been walled in maintained its pointed top. The last field with traces of a Gothic window and two abutments to the right of the sacristy are decorated with bosses and geometrical sgraffiti. The smooth surface of the aisles is divided by lesenes with two rows of semi-circular windows topped by decorative stucco chambranles. One of the windows was transformed into a side entrance with a stone portal with two capitals; it opens on a staircase built after the closing of the cemetery and leveling of the surrounding ground. The façade with a symmetrically placed entrance to the staircase and stained-glass window with the gilded inscription Christus regnat (Christ rules) is divided by lesenes, pilasters and moulded cornices covered with roofing tiles; above the door is a tile-covered fronton. The moulded gable carries an empty stucco frame, on the side pilasters, above a simple cornice is a stucco triangle, symbol of God's eye. On top of the gable and its lateral cornices are stone cones with gilded decorations. A high altar dedicated to saint Florian, dominates the interior of the church, which is decorated with Renaissance and Baroque frescos with motifs from the St Vitus legend and with decorative figure and ornamental motifs in stucco frames. Set in the lateral walls are 25 Renaissance and Baroque tombstones from the abandoned graveyard. A Baroque organ is also a part of the church's decorations. The nearby tower used to be a low graveyard gate; it was reconstructed and heightened in the 18th century, when it was given an onion dome turret and a clock. Its simple smooth façade is only divided by a cordon cornice and corner pilasters. On all four sides are high, semicircular windows and dials of the clock. The graveyard was in use until 1787, the last funeral service was conducted in this church in 1962.