Burgrave s house no.17

    
The original Gothic house went through a Renaissance reconstruction after the 1561 fire. Its owner, Jan Broum of Chomutov , agent in the service of dame Eva Říčanská of Říčany, began building a magnificent Renaissance residence. As the project was far beyond his financial means, he resigned and ceded the house to his successor Jan Krž of Plotiště who finished the job, as confirmed by his and his wife's emblems from the year 1565. However, he became in Pelhřimov persona ingrata because in the conflicts with the feudal authorities he sided with the Říčany family. When Pelhřimov bought its release from vassalage, Jan Krž was forced to leave town and in 1572 he sold the house to one of the most important Pelhřimov burghers, Václav Hodáček. Hodáček added to the house a tower-like structure and one vault to the arcade. His son Jan built a left courtyard wing with sgraffiti, which was pulled down in 1941 because of to its very bad state. Its present aspect is the result of the reconstruction in the 1920s. It was carried out with the participation of foremost experts; the sgraffiti were restored, so the records tell us, after old models by the sculptor Miroslav Böswart. The restored building amalgamated harmoniously Renaissance, Neo-Classical and Empire elements. Geometrical sgraffiti decorate the entire façade, under the windows are plastic festoons. The combined window over the passageway is on three sides surrounded by a broad band of vegetal decorations. A pentahedral projection counter-balances the tower-like part with an arcade and an attic decorated with stucco ornaments. The attic on the main part of the building has on the corner, next to house no.18, plastic bosses. The whole is conceived as false battlements with two cylindrical bastions and small shooting windows. While the house was the property of the Church Society, the busts of the twelve apostles appeared on the battlements, without any historical context. At present the building houses the Gallery M and the Museum of Ghosts. It is open to the public, including the cellars.